One of the most helpless feelings is knowing that the return of Jesus is near and that there are people you love who are spiritually unprepared. Only those who are sealed by the Holy Spirit (spiritually born again) will be caught up to the throne of God to follow the heavenly track known as the “Day of Christ“. Those left behind on earth will face unimaginable horrors during the “Day of the Lord“. While this will be the most difficult period of time known to humanity, have courage. God needs witnesses during this time, and how do you know that God has not prepared and elected your loved one specifically for this time and purpose?
While we cannot truly know anyone’s heart but our own, I believe I have loved ones who will be left behind. As such, I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I can do to help them, while I am still here. I want to share my ideas with you, in case it might help your loved ones as well. I’m sure there are many other great suggestions – please do not consider this list exhaustive!
The Bible tells us that this time of trouble will come suddenly and unexpectedly, “like a trap“, “birth pains“, “a thief in the night“. It appears that it will be marked by sudden worldwide earthquakes, volcanic explosions, and tsunamis. It will be difficult to find materials for survival. Water will be contaminated. Electricity will be unreliable. People will hoard, and eventually will become violent in their efforts to obtain basic necessities.
We have seen during the Covid-19 Pandemic that it is wise to have basic necessities on hand to last at least a few weeks. The preparation I am talking about in this post, would need to sustain your loved ones for a period of up to seven years. Most of us are unable to stockpile seven years’ worth of materials, even if we wanted to. Please keep in mind that their odds of physical survival are not great. What we can hope for our loved ones is that they survive long enough to come to salvation, that they preach the good news to others, and that they hold firm in the faith until the end.
My dear friends, your loved one needs prayer most of all. Plead with God:
- that He would elect your loved one for eternal salvation in His Kingdom.
- that they would survive the catastrophic events long enough to repent and be saved.
- that they would not be deceived by satan
- that He would have mercy and spare them from His deluding influence
Here is a sample prayer you may pray with me:
Father, I come before You today to plead on behalf of my loved ones, __________. I pray that in Your mercy You would open their eyes to see Your truth. Elect them for salvation, Lord! I would love for them to be spared from the upcoming time of trouble on the earth. But if they will not choose You in this age, I pray that You would listen to the cry of my heart and spare them from the deception that is to come. I know from Your word that many will be deceived, and that You will send a delusion upon those who refused to love the truth and so be saved. But I also know that Your eyes are on the righteous and that You attend to our prayers. Your word states that the enemy will deceive even the very elect, if that were possible, so from this I know that the elect will not be deceived. According to Your promise, I humbly request that You elect ________ for salvation. Please sovereignly arrange circumstances, whatever it takes, to drive them to the foot of the cross of Jesus Christ. By Your Holy Spirit, keep them in the faith until the end. I trust in You, and put their eternal lives completely in Your hands.
In Jesus Name I pray,
I have an article written on How To Be Saved – If You Have Been Left Behind you may wish to print and leave for them. You may also wish to write a personal letter for them. I have written one entitled My Letter To You. Feel free to copy and edit it as you desire, to make it your own.
Ensure you have a Bible available for them to find. I have purchased a number of Bibles to leave behind. Provide a New Testament at the very minimum! Easier to read versions include The Living Translation (TLB), Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), Christian Standard Bible (CSB), and New International Version (NIV). I prefer the English Standard Version (ESV) or the Berean Study Bible (BSB).
I’m not sure if they will have access to the internet or books, as electricity may be intermittent and shipping might be unreliable. You may consider purchasing, downloading, or printing:
No one currently understands these things perfectly, but these are good resources to have on hand for your loved one to help interpret events as they occur.
- Clean water will be scarce. Purchase some bottled water and keep it in a secure location.
- Fill freshly washed water storage containers with clean tap water and store these securely as well. Add bleach as per the chart below.
- Purchase a bottle of plain, unscented bleach that they can use to purify water. Print this chart and tape it to the bottle:
- Ideally you want at least 1L of water per person per day, but they will have to ration.
- Consider buying a water sterilization pen/system.
- Consider buying a standalone water filtration system (I chose a Brita jug with filters). This won’t take out bacteria, but it can remove ash and larger particles from rainwater, snow, etc.
- Consider buying rain collecting barrels.
- Ensure there are clean cloths (this can even be torn up old cotton shirts) to filter water through.
- I believe we are given clues as to what days the rapture might be more likely to occur than others, although we may truly not know the day until that day. However, on “high watch days”, I fill all our freshly cleaned and rinsed bathtubs with water.
- Squirrel away high nutritional value foods that store well and don’t need cooking.
- protein powders
- protein bars
- canned beans
- canned meats
- dried meats (beef jerky etc)
- peanut butter
- nut and seed butters (almond butter, tahini etc)
- boxed cereals
- granola bars
- canned fruit (no sugar added)
- canned vegetables
- dried 100% fruit, fruit bars
- I also laid my hands on and prayed for our fruit trees/shrubs to be spared, that they would provide sustenance throughout the coming times of trouble.
- shelf milks (almond, coconut, etc)
- this is not a critical food group
- consider calcium gummies for children
- Baby formula if needed
- Store in sealed plastic storage containers
- Pray that their shelter (house where they live) would be specifically spared from the events of the Rapture / Seals opening (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis).
- If you can, go through their (your) house and anoint every doorframe and every window with olive oil (I make a cross) as you pray. Dedicate each room and level to God to use for His plans and purposes. In our basement I asked God specifically that not a crack to the foundation would occur. On the main floor I asked for all walls to be secure. On the top floor I prayed for not a shingle to be touched. All this I prayed in the name of Jesus Christ, so that the gospel could be declared and the house would bear witness to God for His glory.
- Pray that your loved ones will have access to shelter throughout the coming times of trouble.
- Consider providing:
- blankets, sleeping bags
- mosquito/bug netting
- fans (the old-fashioned non-electric ones may prove useful!)
- Locate clothing for all seasons, taking into account growth for kids, and weight loss for everyone.
- Shoes (such as runners) and boots (rain and/or snow)
- Ensure there is clothing available that would be useful in the event of colder weather (ash in the atmosphere can drop temperature considerably). Boots, coats, mitts, hats, etc.
- Towels, wash cloths
- I ensure all laundry is washed and dried right before “high watch” days
- toilet paper!
- medications refilled
- emergency medications as needed
- a plan for essential medications (i.e. thyroid medication – natural remedy includes dessicated animal thyroid; check online or with your natural health food store)
- hand sanitizer
- face masks (for germs as well as ash)
- medical gloves in appropriate sizing
- goggles (for ash)
- bleach (for germs, can also be used in water)
- dish soap
- clean cloths
- hydrogen peroxide
- antibiotic cream (Polysporin)
- bug spray
- tylenol / advil
- antihistamine medication
- anti-nausea medication
- anti-diarrhea medication
- emergency kit
- tensor bandage
- disinfecting wipes
- baby wipes (these are so useful for cleaning hands!)
- doggie poo bags – it’s entirely possible that toilets won’t work
- garbage bags – sanitation services may be discontinued, but garbage will have to be bagged to prevent illness
- diapers if needed
- matches, lighters
- firewood, fire pit
- tinfoil (for cooking on fire)
- leather work gloves
- lots of batteries
- candles, candle warmers
- hand crank radio
- hand crank flashlight
- shovel (for dirt, ash, snow etc)
- non-electric cooking source with extra fuel
- backpacks to store and transport things in
I’m sure you can find other survival lists on emergency prepping websites. Many of these things are good to have on hand all the time anyways, as you should be prepared to survive 72 hours completely self-sufficiently in the event of power outages, severe storms, etc. I would try to prepare for at least a month of supplies.
Basically you want to think about a worst case scenario and basic survival. Anticipate having no electricity and no way to contact anyone or obtain anything. Then throw in a bunch of crazy people and unpredictable weather. There will be natural disasters but also dead bodies, infectious disease, and lack of sanitation.
Preparations will only last so long. Pray that your loved ones won’t be deceived, and will repent and be saved. Again, don’t be discouraged, but have faith. Where the gospel is preached, God’s Spirit moves. The book of Acts is a great record of this! Pray that your loved ones will be anointed with the Holy Spirit to preach and teach the gospel. Pray for endurance and faithfulness and the salvation of many through their witness.
I really feel like God laid on my heart something I call the “Elijah Box”. In a time of severe famine and drought, God provided for Elijah supernaturally through a jar of flour and jug of oil that miraculously refilled day by day. He provided in this way after all hope was gone. I am sharing it here in case God will relent and spare those we love through supernatural means, for the sake of His glory and of His kingdom. We know that some saints will survive and make it through the time of tribulation to enter and repopulate the Millennial Kingdom. Perhaps the ones we love have been elected for this purpose – and what a great purpose that would be!!!
There is nothing special about the contents of the box specifically. I was thinking of what might best meet basic nutritional needs. Substitute as you see fit/have available. For each person, make one box. In it, taking allergies into account, place:
- 2 liters of bottled sealed water
- One small jar of peanut or other nut butter (or a jar of nuts/seeds) – for protein & fat
- Dried fruit bars or cans/jars of fruit – for vitamin C especially
- One jar filled with cereal (or any grain product like crackers etc) – for carbohydrates
- Ensure only enough food and water for ONE day is placed in the box.
- A printout of 1 Kings 17:7-16 and instructions as listed below
Replace all contents every night and close box.
1 Kings 17:7-16 ESV
7 And after a while the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land.
The Widow of Zarephath
8 Then the word of the Lord came to him, 9 “Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. Behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you.” 10 So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, “Bring me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.” 11 And as she was going to bring it, he called to her and said, “Bring me a morsel of bread in your hand.” 12 And she said, “As the Lord your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die.” 13 And Elijah said to her, “Do not fear; go and do as you have said. But first make me a little cake of it and bring it to me, and afterward make something for yourself and your son. 14 For thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘The jar of flour shall not be spent, and the jug of oil shall not be empty, until the day that the Lord sends rain upon the earth.’” 15 And she went and did as Elijah said. And she and he and her household ate for many days. 16 The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty, according to the word of the Lord that he spoke by Elijah.
On the top of the box I wrote “Holy to the Lord”, as well direction to only open when all hope is gone. Include the following instructions inside the box:
When all hope is gone, all supplies have run out, and you have no other means of survival, open the box. Consume the contents throughout the day, then put all the empty packaging and bottles back in the box and close it for the night. Pray over the box, asking God to provide for you for the next day.
“Behold, I am about to rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in my law or not.” (Exodus 16:4)
Your prayer might go something like this:
“Jesus, you are my only hope. I am trusting in You to provide for me, however You will. Without access to food and water, I will die. I am putting my life in Your hands. Please give me this day my daily bread. Sustain my life, that I might be able to tell others about You in this dark time and place.
In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen”
Once you have filled the box, pray over it. Pray like you have never prayed in all your life! Then set it aside, hidden somewhere safe, to be found after you are gone.
Pray fervently. Pray passionately. Pray with all the faith God has given you, for the salvation of your loved ones. Pray for all those who will be left behind, that they will find these materials and come to saving faith. Jesus is surely near, at the very gates.
Are you CERTAIN of your Salvation, beyond a shadow of a doubt? Do you KNOW that no matter when the rapture occurs, you will be counted worthy to escape? If not, please read What Must I do to Be Saved.
The Bible is infallible. I am not. Be a Berean – examine the scriptures for yourself to see if these things are so!